View Single Post
Old 6th February 2019, 08:57 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Jean, I could probably come up with a blade that some people might consider to be wesi pulen --- but then others might not.

The parameters of keris belief are not universal; they are not consistent. Even if you go back to the same person at a different time you might not get the same answer you got last time.

This is Jawa we're dealing with Jean, it really does not work in any way similar to Paris France, or Sydney Australia.To survive in Jawa you need to be able to think in a different way.

I do not ever use the old Javanese terms to refer to the various supposedly different types of iron. I appraise the material used to make a keris blade in purely trade terms, not keris collector terms, not keris study group terms.

I ignore colour of wesi. If any iron is polished it will be shining white.

If any iron is stained the colour will vary dependent upon the expertise of the person doing the stain, and upon the medium used to stain.

One of the parameters used to appraise a keris is "guwaya". This refers purely to colour, whether it is a prestigious gleaming blue-black, or a muddy grey. Take that blade away, clean it, polish it, re-stain it, you can sometimes achieve a totally different guwaya.

I do not subscribe to the varying parameters used by some Javanese keris collectors in the appraisal of iron.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote