Thread: Mughal Kard?
View Single Post
Old 28th December 2005, 01:22 PM   #18
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Battara,

I don’t hope you hope for too much, as I, to my surprise, have not found much.

You most likely have been through almost all your books, just like I have, without finding the word anywhere – at least not in the Index’. This made me slightly irritated, so I thought I better look for the auction catalogue – and there the knife was, Hermann Historica auction catalogue no 46 #548. I tried ‘more’ and got a lead, Catalogue over the Moser Collection, 1955, #209-211 and 213. From then on it was easy, especially as I have the catalogue.

On page 200 the authors Rudolf Zeller and Ernst F. Rohrer describe ‘Messerbestecke’ (knife cutlery) together with kards, and here I saw the word, in a book, for the first time – in the text that is – as it is not in the index. This means that Shakshaki may be mentioned in some of the other books as well – in the text – but left out of the index.

It does not say what the word means, nor does it says if a small knife attached in a scabbard to another type of knife is called the same, which it probably is – this said without safety line. If there are cutlery or tools as well, they are mostly hidden in the hollow hilt of the kard. In the Moser Collection there seems to be six kards with Schakschaki’s (this spelling is from the Moser Catalogue, notice the different spelling from Hermann Historica). Below find the measurers of the Schakschaki.

Blade 14.7 cm. Hilt 8.5 cm. Weight 140 g.

Blade 16 cm. Hilt 7.5 cm. Weight –.

Blade 11.5 cm. Hilt 8 cm. Weight 65 g.

Blade 13 cm. Hilt 4.3 cm. Weight 37 g.

Blade 12 cm. Hilt 7.5 cm. Weight 50 g.

#215 this is rather special, as there, in the hilt of the schakschaki, is a folding knife.
Blade 16/7.6 cm. Hilt 11/8.8 cm. Weight 85 g.

Should someone have contacts in Iran or India, the word may be translated, but notice the different ways of spelling it.

Sorry I could not get a better explanation for you, but that was all I could find in my books.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote