View Single Post
Old 14th April 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Nick Wardigo

I've seen quite a few of these over the years (in his description, the seller even mentions that he sold an identical sword some time ago). Occasionally, one sees these as a set of double swords (shuang jian), and there's even one pictured in SWORDS AND HILT WEAPONS with a description that has a few errors, which may contribute to the high prices these swords generally get on places like eBay.

First, the book states that the grips are ivory, and they are bone on every single example I have ever seen. Second, it states that the decoration is inlay, but it is actually overlay, that is, the surface has been scored and silver wire pounded into it (similar to koftgari, but of generally lower quality). Third, it dates the sword to the Qianlong period, pointing out the Qianlong seal on the blade. These seals are fake (ALL of these swords have them), and even a glance at any of the Qianlong swords in the Forbidden City or the Mussee de l'Armee in Paris will verify the vast difference in workmanship between these weapons and a genuine Imperial jian from the 18th century.

I have never seen one of these swords with a folded steel construction nor an inserted or hardened edge. There may be some age to them, but certainly not 18th century (I'd hesitate to date them as older than 100 years, and I think that's being generous). I can't speak to how these things would perform for a martial artist, but in my opinion, these were made exclusively for the tourist trade.
Nick Wardigo is offline   Reply With Quote