View Single Post
Old 16th April 2009, 04:28 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Sa'ar for the additional link, and what a magnificent book! I am tempted to try to get it, but I think I've reached my quota here in the bookmobile...my rolling home. It certainly reflects the outstanding work of these archaeologists in these regions, and I'm looking forward to learning more. I really do appreciate your kind helpfullness!

Cornelis, thank you for adding the excellent assesments on the aftermath of battlefield sites as observed by Mr. Oakeshott. What he notes is certainly one of the well placed axioms of archaeology, that the discovery of a single item without corroborating evidence is simply that of a singular item, and not of larger scale presence.
While the discovery of a single sword with the clearly evident stature of this example, its importance is not so much in representing a particular battle, but that it has been in situ since the period it is from. In this it is extremely exciting, much in the way that shipwrecks are, having remained virtually undisturbed as if time stood still.

Naturally the removal of valuable items such as swords from battle locations was standard, and the examples found are the broken ones or those in marine deposits as noted by Broadaxe.

I cannot imagine what amazing excitement it would be to touch such an artifact for the first time in so many centuries!!! While I know archaeology certainly must have its trials and tediom.....the rush from that must be fantastic!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote