Thread: Maranao Barong
View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Bangkaya

Battara,
As I said, the barung is not a traditional Maranao weapon. However, the Maranao are making them today to fill in a certain niche (i.e. tourist or non-classic sword collectors.) Finding a true Sulu barung being made today is very difficult even though they are still made today, but travel and cargo restrictions to Sulu make it near impossible. The Maranaos being in Mindanao have capitalized on this by making barungs as well as other Sulu weapons to fill this void and these swords can be found throughout the so called "antiques" markets from Aldevinco in Davao to Tiendensitas in Manila. And the quality of these blades are quite good even though they are not a true Sulu barung. Much better than the barongs made in Benguet and Baguio (which is another story.) Even so, Sulu barungs can be found in the Zamboanga markets, yet these are quite austere compared to those found in Jolo.

What is it that you disagree about with okir? My point was that Maranao okir was different than Sulu ukkil. I made that clear in my previous post. 30 years ago I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference, but after spending time in those areas and gaining valuable insight from the people of those different cultures, it becomes quite apparent. So unless you read my post wrong I made it clear that that Maranao okir is different than Sulu ukkil.

Regards,

Bangkaya
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote