View Single Post
Old 20th September 2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is always exciting to see items with interesting provenance, and as this is indeed a European percussion pistol the fact that it ended up in China of course immediately sends thought to Boxer rebellion. Naturally that is considerably later than the probable 1840s period for this, however many earlier weapons ended up there with various contingents among the number of foreign legations represented.
I can recall a British heavy cavalry disc hilt (M1796) found among the arms of Chinese forces, but that may have been of the volume of surplus items dispersed in the mid 19th century.

I don't have much in resources on pistols, but my inclination is this is probably French (or perhaps Liege production?) and as well observed, likely a naval belt pistol.

I think the 'ethnographic' venue was a good call in subjective view in consideration of circumstances, however for identification purposes, it is best to go with objective detail better found on European venue.

On that note, I would very much recommend objectivity concerning the unfortunate political elements added to the provenance as they are not relevant to the probable arrival of the pistol in this context. These events and actions took place many generations later and while most of us are aware of them, they are best left outside this discourse.

Thank you for posting this fascinating pistol, and hope more detailed ID will be forthcoming.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote