View Single Post
Old 20th May 2005, 09:09 AM   #33
zelbone

Cool

Very interesting thread...

I just got back from the Philippines and found this thread. It gave me quite a chuckle since it reminds me of when I was just in Davao bartering with a Maranao merchant in Aldevinco. The shop had hundreds of swords, spears, and lantakas. The salesgirls tried to sell me recently made krises but I was adamant that they were "tourist" quality and wanted to see the real antiques. Thats when the proprietor stepped in and offered me a cup of tea so we could actually discuss business. He could tell I was serious customer so he only showed me the "real" antiques. Most of the real antiques were Lumad swords with a few old krises, kampilans, and budiaks. After an hour or so discussing Maranao weapons, history, and folklore I ended up walking away with two Lumad swords: one B'laan sword and one Bagobo sword. The proprietor knew I was looking for Lumad swords so he steered me towards a few of his better examples. I got them both for a very fair price...in fact you could say I got them for a steal!

Anyways, he pointed me into the direction of another Maranao merchant that had a gunong that I would probably be interested in. I went to the shop to find a really nice old ivory and silver hilt gunong with a silver scabbard. This was a genuinely old gunong with a nice old damascus blade and slender hilt. The shop owner was not around, but his son was there. He quoted me 800 pesos which is about $15. I quickly agreed but I wanted a receipt and a letter from the owner stating that the item was over a hundred years old just in case customs decided to confiscate it because of the ivory. The son located his father who came quickly and then yelled at his son. He then started laughing and explained that this particular gunong's price was 18,000 pesos and not 800 pesos...around $333, a more realistic price. He also said that he probably wouldn't even sell it to me if I was going to leave the country with it because of the CITES ban on ivory and didn't want to see it confiscated. He apologized to me and offered me his other weapons at a good discount. I was only interested in the gunong, but I did pick up a nice old malong from him that I'll display my swords on.

Anyways, I digress...

Hopefully, the market for Lumad swords don't increase anytime soon now that I have reliable contacts for these weapons ! Plus, I've discovered a sword form that really hasn't been discussed here yet...but I'm keeping that to myself .
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote