View Single Post
Old 28th April 2015, 11:01 PM   #16
dana_w

John Chalapis talks about some of the classification problems in his American Society of Arms Collectors article. Keep in mind he was writing many years before Burgoyne's book was published.

To my knowledge there has been comparatively little information written to describe and clarify the Queen Anne pistol. I am sure that all of you have a visual idea of a Queen Anne, but if you are asked to describe it, it becomes very difficult. For every positive statement that can be made about the Queen
Anne pistol, a counter statement can be made. For example: "All Queen Anne pistols have turn off barrels." There are many examples that do not screw off (see figure 1). "The lock is always integral with the Breech." I have several examples with detachable side locks (see figures 2 and 3). "The barrel is always cannon shaped at the muzzle." I have seen Queen Anne pistols with large flared muzzles, which could be called blunderbuss Queen Annes. So, therefore, my description will not refer to the exception, but to the general rule of Queen Anne pistols.

The classic Queen Anne pistol may be said to be a breech loaded pistol - turn(screw) off barrel - the lock is integral with the breech- the cock is located on the side of the lock and generally has no wood forward of the lock (see figures 4,5, and 6). The butt of the grip has a slight curve forward terminating in a bulbous swell, and is usually capped with a silver butt cap. Also accepted in this description are the "fish tail" butts which have the more common shape of the holster pistols of the period. This type was also capped in silver, steel, brass or in a combination of these metals. The early Queen Anne pistols occasionally may be found with rifled barrels, but the majority have smooth bores.

http://americansocietyofarmscollect...28_Chalapis.pdf

As long as we are talking about Queen Anne "style". What do you think of this Queen Anne Carbine?
Attached Images

Last edited by dana_w; 29th April 2015 at 01:12 AM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote