View Single Post
Old 1st April 2014, 05:41 PM   #75
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
It's fascinating to see all the stylistic variations of nimchas and saifs out there. In looking through all the recent threads on the subject, it appears that they always have falling quillions above and below the blade. Which makes sense from a functional point of view.

Here's some photos of what looks like a very crude nimcha with the falling quillions on the sides of the blade rather than above and below. It's from an auction I didn't win. In fact I didn't even bid on it since it's too homely even for my low standards. Is this a known variation on the nimcha/saif? Apologies for posting such an ugly sword in a thread with such beauties

Salaams Blue Lander ~ I think you will find that Nimcha variants of this form... I mean with somewhat "flimsy hilt and guards" are a mark of the less well manufactured work coming from the Yemen .. Im not sure if the slump in quality was because of the exit in and after 1948 by Jewish craftsmen but I am aware of a huge rehilting network (Sanaa) taking blades from everywhere and anywhere... mainly Ethiopian; see example at #67 ..from 1970 ..and doing a cheap rehilting makeover often removing better hilt material for the Jambia market (Rhino) and replacing with mediocre hilts displaying very poor hilt metalwork..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote