View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Freddy

Arrow

I live in Belgium, so as far as African weapons are concerned, a lot can still be found at fleamarkets and antique fairs. Problem is that you have to visit them regularly and that you have to go early in the morning. I'm not the only one looking for bargains.
Because the sellers in the Gent weekly antiquemarket know me for years, they sometimes put things aside which they know might interest me. Before putting a certain item up for sale, they show it to me. If I don't have to money to buy something right away, they keep it for some time. Afterwards, I always buy these pieces and pay what I promised. This is based on trust.

From time to time, I get to know a person who sells stuff that came through his family. There, the real bargains can be found. Mostly, these people don't know what they have and only want to get rid of the items. Again, you need to be first

Another good source are secondhand shops. It's the same as above, you have to go there often to find something. My last great find in a secondhand shop was a Mangbetu sickle knife with an ivory handle.

Ebay is also a good source, but most of the time the pieces are too expensive. Add to this the shipping cost.....!
I tried auctions, but these are also very expensive.
It's better to wait and make frequent visits to fleamarkets.

Last and not least is of course this forum. I have found very good pieces through trade with other forum members.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote