Thread: Unusual Panabas
View Single Post
Old 13th November 2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Drac:

I've known some folks who have been bitten by these things. They say it is extremely painful. One equated it to a sting by a scorpion (which are also present in the Philippines. In terms of envenomation, I think this guy is roughly equivalent to a bite from a black widow spider--probably won't kill an adult human but has killed children. They are definitely to be avoided.

Here is an extract from Facebook about the use of the centipede in tattoos. I don't know if it is true, but the material is interesting.
"Gayaman (centipede) and centipede-like tattoo designs are found in the Philippines and throughout the Pacific. In the Philippines the centipede was an omen animal. According to anthropologist Dr. Lars Krutak it is called, "bulbulun di mangayaw" in Kalinga, meaning "friend of the headhunters." Its appearance signified the presence of an ancestor spirits. (anito) In other contexts the centipede was a microcosm of a war party traveling single-file, or a chain of people and ancestors. The design may have originally been derived from the image of rows of people paddling a canoe. In Samoa the centipede tattoo was called "atualoa" commonly translated as the "long god", but the word loa could also mean, "from a long time since." In other words atualoa could mean god(s) from a long time since. This would correlate with the interpretations from the Philippines. Centipede designs were also found among the Chamorro people of Guam where it was tattooed vertically up the calves and shins as well as up the forearms. In ancient Tahiti, centipede-like tattoos similar to the designs seen here were tattooed in arches over the hips. The centipede tattoo was also found in Melanesia. It was truly a pan-Pacific tattoo, evidence of our common ancestry." (here)
Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
I think you guys are spot on with the centipede angle, especially when one sees that picture that you have provided and on this forum, we have seen the reoccurring theme of this insect from time to time.My question is what importance does the centipede play in the Philippine culture; is it based on mythology, etc.?I don't think that it would be my first choice, 2nd or hundredth to embellish a weapon with; especially going into battle when the guy next to me has got an eagle and the other guy might have a viper and they ask me what do I have on my blade and I answer a centipede.

Last edited by Ian; 13th November 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote