View Single Post
Old 28th August 2018, 11:46 AM   #17
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Going back to the rattan problematic and within my deep limitations in the subject, i don't see that its use in barrel binding could exclusively determine the area where the gun was mounted. Rattan is used all over; such stuff would have and still forms a resource of trade. Naturally its potential use will be more abundant close from its origin but its spread is undeniable. Its bulk purpose being wicker work, Afghanis also have their share. Its local popular use extends to baskets used to carry opium for street sale and its necessary scales.

I see a Toradar labeled as from North India (Hindi written label and all) with the barrel attached to the stock with both wire and rattan capucines. So we have a 'mixed' approach here.

On the other hand, we have a Jezail in the Imperial war museum GB, with the following description:

"Matchlock jezail musket & ramrod. Facetted barrel, slightly belled at muzzle, and strengthened breech; integral sights, two rattan barrel bindings, lock with side mounted match holder, stock with applied ivory and brass decoration."

Pity no pictures available.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote