View Single Post
Old 15th May 2023, 03:55 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most interesting type of tulwar which in my opinion situates from Deccani origins, and follows the Mughal affinity for Persian style. I would agree on the late 19th century from what is regarded loosely as the 'Durbar period'.
The durbars were Grand Imperial Assembles and celebrations known as the Delhi Durbars (1877,1903, 1911) however similar smaller events of this type were occasions throughout the British Raj where diplomatic matters were handled and large bazaars with wares of Indian artisans were displayed and sold.

The distinct Mughal influences of this example are seen in contrast with the familiar Indo Persian tulwar hilt with disc pommel and domed Ottoman quillon terminals. In this we have the steel shamshir hilt and flueret quillon terminals and langet.

These Persian style affectations favored by the Mughals in the Deccan are seen to the northwest regions of India, in what is now Afghanistan in the tulwar form known as paluoar (Egerton 1885). The example attached is mid 19th c. and while these hilts are loosely of the Indo Persian style, the downturned quillons are distinctly Persian.

The example of the shamshir type tulwar as seen in the one posted here by the Major is like one I have which I regard as Deccani, late 18th to early 19th c. with possible East India Co. associations. It is of the same Persian style, of steel, and mounted with a British M1788 saber blade which has had koftgari embellishment at the forte. While it does not have the flueret terminals, clearly the shamshir hilt with canted pommel is key. Note the knuckle bow ends in similar blockish styllzed dragon as on the paluoar quillons.

As to the blade on the Major's example, it is clearly Indian made and with the sharp point, but following Indian blade form with what is known as the 'Indian ricasso', the blunted section blocked near the hilt (Rawson, 1967).
This much debated feature has often been regarded as to extend the forefinger around the guard from the notably small grip of the Indo Persian tulwar hilt.

The star markings in threes (trimurti) represent the often represented Timurid ancestry of Mughal India from the often termed 'cintamani' device with three dots and often three lines. These are often seen in strategically placed three dot placements on tulwar blades, but here the stars are used, probably recalling similar stars on Solingen blades often occurring in Arab trade (Schimmelbusch & Kirschbaum) but typically with a comet.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote