Old 24th July 2022, 07:10 PM   #13
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I assume the decorations on the hilt and scabbard are akin to niello
Yes, gilding and oxidation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Quick question. Is the sword rather bulky and "blade heavy in the hand." I've found that recently made dha and daab from MSEA, while sometimes of good workmanship, lack the finesse and balance of antique weapons and feel clumsy to wield.
Thank you very much for the question. That is why I desided to open the thread. I have seen the item before but only on photos. But recently I was lucky enough to hold it in hand. I do not understand and like shashkas as a weapons. I prefer heavy weapons and among shashkas I would prefer Afghan or Central Asia ones.
Despite the weight of the item is only 700 g I felt it like a real weapon. When you hold it, it provokes you to cut everything and everyone around you .

So I understand now why a lot of swords, for example, of 19th century ones from India, can not evoke the same feeling in the arm. They were made only as a decorated copy and makers did not try to make balance and so on. They tried to please the tastes of customers. And the customers were tourists from Europe.
When the customers are those who use the weapon for its intended purpose, then the weapon is made differently. A sword or saber is not a piece of armature when you can wrap a rag around the end like a handle and beat like a stick.
It's not just the balance and weight of the weapon. A heavy ax or spear can also be harmonious in the hand. And they may not be.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote