View Single Post
Old 21st September 2006, 03:13 AM   #3
Antonio Cejunior

Default The Bayingyi of the River Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
De Brito's exploits were atypical for how Portugal handled relations with most East Asian countries, though. Their big asset (at least in Burma and Siam) were weapons for trade, and weapons technology itself, which they used as a basis for establishing firm relations. Military superiority used as a trade commodity, rather than for conquest. Interestingly, there is a group of people in Burma that are descended from Portuguese metallurgists and gunners who entered the service of the king hundreds of years ago, and settled permanently, intermarrying with the Burmese. They apparently remain a distinct community today.
Hi Mark,

Indeed, and as a Portuguese from Asia, I am very touched by this. At this historical distance it is of the utmost importance for the world to, in total honesty acknowledge the importance of the Portuguese and to further study the travels of Fernão Mendes Pinto, classified as an adventurer but whose life would make one big movie as sometimes reality transcends fiction.

I happen to finished scanning some photographs of that community in Burma that you mention.
I hope you and everyone else interested can find the Bayingyi of the River Mu a living proof of that miscigenation.

Very best
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote