View Single Post
Old 18th November 2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The M1788, like many of these once quite common early British cavalry swords, are now becoming quite rare. Naturally this would be presumed due to their being absorbed into collections and now static.

The restoration work you discuss and show here is remarkable, and most of all I admire your restraint. As a historian far more than collector, I favor maintaining and preserving a sword in as much original condition as possible aside from stabilizing any progressive corrosion and stabilizing broken or damaged components.
Over the years I have owned many swords which were passed over by collectors for their terrible condition. For me, these factors offered exciting opportunities to forensically study each weapon and learn from the often extremely subdued clues. I have found key regimental markings and details obscured and barely visible under patination which would have been lost to any vigorous cleaning.

I wanted to express this view toward restoration as a matter of inclusion and again, thank you for the sincere and respectful position on same you clearly afford these old warriors. Nicely done.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote