Thread: Damaged sheath
View Single Post
Old 26th September 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
JamesKelly

Thanks for the comments. I will have to think about this a while.

My wood background and viewpoint, comes from antique firearms, and seeing Dad repair 19th century furniture. For antiques the normal protocol, in my view, would be to repair with a good water base wood glue, or old-fashioned hide glue, so that in future years the item could be reworked if necessary.

I need to look at my problem a little closer & in more detail. I have a bit of Macassar ebony & rosewood in my shop, purchased recently when I thought I might bet back into miniature arms making. At one time I made a couple of 1/3 scale working percussion & flintlock Kentucky rifles. Hah! The craftsmanship of my 30's seems to have diminished a bit from disuse over the last two score years.

No, I do not have the pieces. I believe the thing was smashed when it was packed, as the blade was jammed into the sheath. No pieces other than that very small tip were in the packing. The package had no damage on the outside. Considering how it was packed I am not inclined to go back to that source for any future buys. So far various antique guns shipped to me from American dealers, along with knives from one Canadian antique weapons dealer and a Sikh in England, have arrived well packed & intact.

I appreciate the suggestions. Never would I have been aware of the wood being saturated with oil, as the manner in which kerises are treated is quite new to me. Great-great Uncle James Kelly's Civil War saber, 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was just hung on the wall. Reminds me I need to clean it a bit with bronze wool & microcrystalline wax.

I will move slowly on the keris repair.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote