View Single Post
Old 19th July 2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Hello Robert,
the shown bolo seems to has a replacement hilt from the former owner IMHO. I think like this because the used wood is so bright and simple carved.
Detlef, the bolo shown in the photo is the one I just acquired shown with a very old wood hilt that I have had for a while. This hilt has several cracks and splits that would require a bit of repair but that is a simple fix. Because it is such a simple hilt I thought it might be a better match with this blade and sheath and possibly be a more accurate example of how the original hilt might have looked.

Ian, I agree that this was originally intended to be a working bolo and as such it would more than likely have been much simpler in it decoration. The scabbards in the photo that you have posted above demonstrates what I was referring to earlier about the differences in the scabbard designs. All of your examples have the leather throat pieces and use a completely different manor of securing them when being worn than my example.
The wooden hilt that I have shown is a very simple version of what you refer to as "chicken head". It just does not use the metal ferrule that is shown on both Detlefs and your examples. Because of the poor quality of my photograph, the distortion from the cracks and splits as well as the wear from years of use it is hard to see the actual lines of carving that were once more prominent on this hilt. I was thinking of repairing and using it solely because of its very simple form as I thought it might make for a better match than one of the more elaborate hilts with the metal ferrule. As there is no great need to rehilt this at the present time I do not intend on doing anything (as far as hilt replacement is concerned) until I have done more research on this and hopefully received more input from forum members. Do you have any thoughts on the carving on the scabbard as to what it might represent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I think we need a little more discussion on the Bicol knives, with some solid historical evidence to indicate the styles of knives and swords there. The descriptions of eBay sellers are notoriously unreliable.
I also agree with this and suggest that a separate thread be started for this purpose.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 19th July 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote