View Single Post
Old 27th June 2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Gustav

There are two things, which are strange with this hilt in my eyes.

At first, if we look at this hilt as a concrete iconographic ensemble, it is lacking at least three components: the drapery abowe the bungkul, the second pair of wings, and the "medaillon" at the back of hilt. They are always coming with this iconographic type.

Exactly the substitutes of these lacking details are most strange in performance: the stiff floral ornamentic abowe of bungkul, the undefined feature instead of second pair of wings, and the strange flower vase with even more strange podium.

The hilt Jean posted is of course a completely other iconographic type, yet also the lines there are a little bit more flowing. The hilt in question has an other, static feeling, it is also absolutely two-dimensional.

If the details and execution are strange, we always are seduced to question the age and place of manufacture. And then we see such blade and pendokok coming with it in this case.

Of course I could be wrong, these are simply my doubts regarding this hilt.

Added some pictures of "normal" execution of this iconographic ensemble for comparison (sorry about flash):
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote