View Single Post
Old 17th December 2023, 10:59 AM   #12
milandro

As others have said, I see this king of sarong and this kind of hilt very often . They are carved for the tourist market

As other have said too, at least you were very lucky to get what appears to be a nice , old, blade. I see all too often blades that are simply cut out pieces of iron with a some painted motief with only the suggestion of a pamor.

Your blade is forged and if properly treated will reveal some sort of pamor obtained in the forge and not with paint.

As for redressing it , I have had some succes with a German dealer on Bali, he can find a sarong maker who can fashion a dress and a hilt for this kris.

It is not easy but you neet to take accurate and extensive pictures of the kris with measurements, then , after some time, he will ship you the sarong. The hilt is not a problem.

I have done this twice and the second time I was for a Bali Kris. The fitting was a little too tight but with the help of a local dealer(who is also a woodworker) with few minutes of work with a Dremel , the fitting is now perfect

see how it came out here

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29008

Last edited by milandro; 17th December 2023 at 01:21 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote