View Single Post
Old 1st November 2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Ron Anderson

Hi David

I think asomotif is right in that there is more than one kind of two toned wood in the region.

The wood I know for Southern African clubs is red or pink ivory, which grows north of Zululand in Transvaal. It was not common and apparently only used by the royal family in Zululand (others used it at the pain of death if discovered, if the stories are true). This wood is duo-toned, but red and black in tone, beautiful, hard, and relatively rare.

This wood may have been used more commonly by groups to the north, transvaal and Limpopo region, or Mozambique. So, Tsonga/Shangaan/ Pedi Northern Sotho perhaps, Venda and others.

Then there is two-toned teak which is used in more modern clubs. This is more red and beige/white duo-toned (as in your mortar and pestle). This is probably not that rare and is probably widely available throughout the region.

I would guess your items are made of this teak.

In short, I can't identify the region your articles come from but Southern or Eastern Africa is a safe bet. My guess is this is from somewhere more remote, because of the way it is carved. So more likely out of South Africa proper, where not many people still use mortar and pestle, and certainly not many would still be handcarving them with adzes.

More likely mozambique, zimbabwe or elsewhere.

In short, I'm not of much help on this. Sorry.

Quite nice items though.

Not for tourists.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote