View Single Post
Old 9th May 2024, 12:06 AM   #25
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
well spoken Detlef!
Thank you for showing these. What exactly is a lontar scribe? I know that scribes using these stylus' were widely spread throughout SE Asia, but am not familiar with the many ethnic groups.

The one shown in the OP, with fluted grip, can you say more on the style. While it reminds me of neoclassic European style, you would be more familiar with the period and perhaps regional classification of this particular style.

Do you think it is feasible that sailors might have obtained these as earlier suggested and used them as awls?

The OP example seems c. 1790s by the pitted blades IMO, and the general feel of it when handled.
Hi Jim,

Lontar is a palm. The lontar palm leaves are used to write on them, the scribes write or better scribe the text with the needle and rub a plant ash inside.The term I used was "lontar scribe's knife". But hit me, I can't tell from my memories of how the knife was used but when my old brain works well to cut the leaves. All the knives here shown (not only mine) come from India, maybe Sri Lanka, so far I know.
When you look close, you will see that my black wood ones are fluted as well. I guess for better grip!?
And yes, I guess that they can be fairly old. I know not too much about them, I assembled them when I saw them and when they were not too expensive.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote