View Single Post
Old 8th April 2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I agree with Ariel, this appears to be an American Federal period dirk of about c. 1805-1815. The hilt eaglehead pommel very similar to American silver hilted hangers and officers swords of the period, and the chainguard is also typical. There were apparantly two principal schools of influence for these hilt forms, one in Baltimore and the other in the Philadelphia area, although certainly examples would not be confined only to those areas.
(see "The American Sword 1775-1945" by Harold L.Peterson, 1973, pp.31-51 for discussion on these hilt forms in chapter 'Eagle Head Pommels').
Very nice example, especially retaining its scabbard.
Best regards,
Jim
Hey guys
I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! The dagger is from India or Pakistan I have seen these all over the place. Some times they say pure steel or best steel. Look at the scabbard the brass work is sloppy old scabbards would have a nicely formed button on the throat not a bent over hook with silver solder all over it and the leather looks the same as on the kukri scabbards right down to the X stamping on it. Also the eagle head casting is of poor quality 19th century castings have much finer detail to them you also would not see the pommel topped with a brass hex nut. I have seen this type of tourist grade dagger all over the internet in the past few year one had a composite hilt of bone and other material with the same blade and writing but saying best steel kirpan. When I showed it to a sikh friend at work she told me that these were made in India and were worn as kirpans by some of the men in her country. Btw there is no true designated style of kirpan this type might be an adopted form influenced by the British.

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 8th April 2006 at 09:27 AM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote