View Single Post
Old 21st March 2006, 06:11 PM   #1
mmontoro

Question Help with ID....Jimpul?...Mandau?

Please help with the classification of this Borneo piece. The lines that distinguish what is and is not a Jimpul are fuzzy to me. This piece has a laminated, curved blade without the krowit protrusions, but there is an un-sharpened area for several inches of the blade just forward of the hilt. The sides of the blade are flat, without the convex/concave cross-section of a Mandau. The quality of the carving seems unusually good and is highlighted by a grinning face positioned so that the tuft of hair emanates from his head. There is the head of what appears to be a serpent or turtle peeking out from the swirling primordial soup of the carving's imagery and long skinny arms with hands along the sides of the hilt. This is a favorite of mine - the hilt is like a living thing and the wacky expression on the face almost makes one forget this object's intended purpose. Can anyone determine if the hilt is antler or bone? There was some discussion of the characteristics of Jimpuls on Dajak's excellent thread, but I didn't want to hijack it by posting there. I would appreciate all opinions.

The carving of the long arm with the hand is better on this side

The small head peeking out can be seen on the lower left, upside-down

reverse side of face

Small reptile? head

Last edited by mmontoro; 21st March 2006 at 07:17 PM.
mmontoro is offline   Reply With Quote