Thread: Moukhala Rifle
View Single Post
Old 26th July 2010, 04:57 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Great stuff

Nice peices Martin and great data Jim.

Jim, for a man who doesn't know guns you certainly made an entrance with that post. I have never studied firearms of any kind. I shot a lot but that is as far as the romance goes. I'd be interested to see what Philip brings to the table if he catches this thread.

What I like about these long arms and in in particular what Martin shows in the images, is that that display well and are of impressive proportions. I have read in historical accounts of the deadly long range capabilities of these rifles where lesser modern carbines stood no chance at a distance.
I can only imagine the charge needed to hurl a large calibre shot down those long barrels over such distance, which brings me to an interesting point, these old barrels must have been well proofed to withstand the charge of the shot and the harsh climates and situations they faced even though they are not over heated to the extent as repeating arms are.
Equally as interesting as Jim notes, is how simplicity in the action kept these alive for so long where modern arms would eventually have no use due to lack of cartridges.

The ivory stock and the coral, especially the size of the ivory stock I like very much.

Martin, I'd be interested in seeing the other or others to compare varieties.

Gav

PS, I must add, there are the circle motifs previously discussed at length.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote