View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008, 11:28 AM   #14
parong sari

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
It is always quite difficult to comment on material from a photo. You really need to touch it, and turn the blade all around so that you can see exactly what the smith was doing when he forged it. However, based on what I can see in the photo, and assuming that an all-round inspection would not deliver any surprises, my guess is that a piece of very fibrous wrought iron has been welded with one or more other types of wrought iron to provide sufficient material to forge a blade without a core. I'd say that when the smith was finished he was probably a bit disappointed with the result, because instead of getting a blade with a nice consistent quality throughout, the fibrous iron had surfaced in a number of places, even on the edges, where it would most definitely not have been wanted.

Yes, to a present day collector this is an unusual blade and to a present day collector that probably makes it somewhat desirable, however, from the point of view of quality of fabrication, I'm afraid this blade just doesn't make it.

It is definitely not a Javanese blade.
ofcourse this is not one of those 'javanese' blades that are forged NOT for fighting purposes but FOR display only.. that is the main difference between kerises from indonesian region and malaysian region.. just imagin some group of gunsmiths making pistols which is not for firing purposes, would they know what is really good for making a good pistol? maybe the can do some fancy design but i don't think they have any clue about persicions?

so no offence, after going through this forum, most of you guys only have knowledge about kerises from indonesia but i think you guys are clueless on when it comes to malaysian kerises.. which definately means none of you guys know on how to use it, or even the techniques of holding it, far more from learning the art of keris.. in the old days, kerises were not judge by the material or pamour, and not even the misticism behind it, but by the practicality and suitiblity to the owner. but YES, to a present day collector the pamor, design and solidness that matters..

and judging a keris by the molecular structure and saying it is not solid enough is the most ridicoulus thing i ever heard.. for instance, if you say this malela is not strong enough, let me thrust it to your belly button.. my point is don't judge a keris by its solidness because it is not forged to be used like a samurai or a sword where one uses it to block other weapons attack, because it doesn't!!

no offence again, but this is just my opinion after teaching silat and the art of kerises for twenty years.. and i personally don't favour kerises which are not forged for fighting.. hey, what's the point of having one then?? for collection maybe??
parong sari is offline   Reply With Quote