Thread: My Pata
View Single Post
Old 15th September 2007, 07:00 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
... As the katar described, hardly is the first one ‘invented’, it is likely that the katar, as a weapon, is far older.
Sure thing.
May i add up a little detail, Bill, Jens and Jim ?
I have read that the older patás examples known around, are from the XVI century, which match their "joint venture" with European/Portuguese blades, right ?
It is amazing how two distinct atributions for the name patá are available. In Wikipedia they say the term derives froma the Portuguese pata ( with accentuation on the first "A" ) which means hoof , reminding the gauntlet of this sword. In Daehnhardt's work/s we read that the term is patá ( with accentuation on the second "A" ) and comes from the from Patãs = Pahans, whom constituted one of the many subdivisions of the Xatrias = Kchatryas cast, or Indian warriors, whom used them for military purpose, both in their homeland or abroad ( quoting Fray Sebastião Manrique in Viagens = Travels, a work of the 1600's ). Unfortunately i ignore whether he quotes this author only for the Pathan warriors or also for the sword name.
Mybe i will ask him one day.
Anyway i find this second attribution of the term the correct one.
fernando

Last edited by fernando; 15th September 2007 at 07:13 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote