Thread: keris oil
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:09 PM   #5
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Some local (indonesian) Keris collectors and dealers use "Singer" oil, I have no idea where to get it, but it is supose to come from the sewing machine company. There is plenty alternatives as mentioned above, even gun oil can be used. Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
"Singer" oil is just that, sewing machine oil that is made by Singer sewing machine co. If you use this it would be used as a base oil and scented essential oils would be added to it, so there is no reason why you would have to miss out on the cendana (sandalwood) as Doecon suggests, since it is easily obtainable. Rose and Jasimine are also sometimes used, but i prefer the less sweet varieties. What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.
I would stay away from coconut oil, even though it is traditionally used. It goes rancid rather easily. Mineral oil makes a very good base as does sewing machine oil. Just add your scented oils to the base oil. There are many references to keris oil on the forum, but i think it is mostly the old forum. Check out these threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/cgi-bin/s...=37&StartAt=A:
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote