View Single Post
Old 21st February 2013, 04:29 PM   #29
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I'm not aware of the profile seen in the image of Yemeni long hilts being found in Ottoman work. The comparison images you showed don't really work for the reasons highlighted above.

I am aware of it in European trade blades - in fact very common in these blades... I for one can draw certain conclusions from that. Deductive logic says...

Salaams Iain ..It is by no means solved as yet.

1. First point ~ the 2nd picture above shows a man holding sword, Mamluke style, comparable with the Mamlukes in the Ottoman museum also shown in picture 4 ~
2. The man holding sword is I believe the same blade "format" as the Yemeni Sayfs... perhaps infact partly the origin of it.
3. The hilts however are where my main emphasis is placed. Mamluke, Ottoman, Yemeni, Omani all on long blades though in the transition finally quite different blades...ending with the flexible Omani dancing style.

I view all this as influence and aim to consider the Yemeni Sayf as a contender for the origin of species of the Omani dancing sword... aware as always that there are many possibilities but the transition from long Yemeni hilt (and or blade) and prior to that Ottoman hilt (and or blade) to long Omani Hilt (and or blade) seems plausible.

However, I hope I'm not wasting too much ink !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 21st February 2013 at 04:43 PM.