View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:19 PM   #183
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams harrywagner ... I like the Khanjar. A lot of people may confuse the concept of making new khanjars... They make these weapons now for the same reasons they made them scores or hundreds of years ago as a badge of office ...head of the Omani household ...and a tradition handed down through the ages. It is therefor Iconic ...an emblem of Oman. In a hundred years yours will be an antique but even then new Khanjars will be being made in the time honoured way and by hand.
Yours is an excellent high quality item... as you say some blade wear or damage which is easy to fix...or to get a refitted blade. The point being that the weapon is constructed so any part of it can be replaced... So you could transform it in minutes to an al Busaidi simply by changing the hilt...I would say this one has what we can say is a new hilt in high density carbon... and fitted to look like Ivory...I see nothing wrong with that at all...The design is what we call eyes of the Bedouin...and in what we also call the Baatinah (coastal) style with silver stitching all over the scabbard below its belt.

There is a similar style at http://khanjar.om/Parts.html See the Types...I read it as agreeing with Omani coastal Baatinah form. The composite hilt with silver pins easily placed without splitting.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hello Ibrahiim,
Thank you for this information. I did not know the pin arrangement style was called "eyes of the Bedouin", or about the Baatinah form.

We think alike with regards to the importance of a Khanjar's age. Quality and beauty are more important considerations. I really like this one. That the hilt is composite does not bother me. I had a difficult time believing it was man made.

Thanks again for the information!

Best regards,
Harry
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote