View Single Post
Old 17th January 2016, 12:44 AM   #237
Cathey

Default Scottish Private Purchase Basket Hilt

Hi Guys

I am now running into my more contemporary basket hilts, although this is one of two private purchase examples I have that are pre-date the 1828 Pattern.

Nationality: British importer, Scottish Sword with German Blade
Date: Circa 1800-1808
Maker/Retailer: J J Runkel
Overall Length: 39” 99 cm
Blade length; 33” 83.8 cm
Blade widest point: 1 ½” 3.9 cm
Hilt widest point: 5 2/4” 13.7 cm
Inside grip length: 4” 10.1 cm
Marks, etc.: J J Runkel Solingen

Description
SCOTTISH STEEL BASKET HILT SWORD: 33" double edged blade marked RUNKEL SOLINGEN to both sides with areas of light & dark staining & short fullers; very good hilt & pommel with grey finish; fish skin grips bound with woven silver wire.

General Remarks
From around 1778 to 1808 J J Runkel imported many thousands of swords and blades from Solingen for the British Market. From around 1800 the spelling of Solingen changed by the omission of the ‘h’ between the σ’and ‘l’.

At first glance this sword appears to be a typical regimental 828 pattern basket hilt, however when you put this sword alongside a more traditional 1828 the guard has a number of differences. The first is the blade, these pre-pattern or private purchase baskets often sported the early Runkel blades common on the brass hilted 1798 pattern swords

Looking just at the hilt construction, the plate of the side guard is scalloped and decorated with circles and lines as apposed the regular pattern heart decoration. The outer shields have only four hearts and small circles as opposed to the eight hearts on the regular pattern example. The lobes on the side guards are not joined as in the 1828 pattern.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote