View Single Post
Old 27th December 2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding!!!! Beautifully done Gene and Berkley, all perfect examples showing that gun barrels were indeed cut down (even absent) for hide out weapons, and Berkley, I had forgotten about those examples in both of those remarkable references.
The Wilson book is entirely breathtaking with photos so clear its as if you are actually viewing the guns in person.
Thank you for the kind words on my wild west posts Berkley, its a topic I have always been deeply fascinated with, and as I have noted, much of my time in the bookmobile takes me along the 'gunfighter trails'. From Texas through New Mexico, Arizona, California....I even spent time in Malta, Montana which is still a small town but loaded with history. Here the Sundance Kid et al robbed the Great Northern train, and the same tracks ride alongside the highway there.

Gene, the fire topic really is interesting, and I recall years ago in Arkansas, I was able to fire a flintlock musket. I have never known much about guns, but what an experience!! There is a moment of anticipation after the click, the hiss and detonation and the sparks, smoke and smell are hard to describe.
You can see how any close range action with black powder could indeed lead to ignition.

Thank you both so much, this really is great to talk more on these unusual aspects of firearms history.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote