View Single Post
Old 20th October 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello and my thanks for every ones help on dating this. I have always thought that most if not all of the photos like this one were staged shots akin to the ones that were printed and sold by Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and others. I would have never caught or even thought about the military hair cuts though if Nonoy Tan had not pointed them out. Knowing nothing about textiles if it was not for Jose pointing it out I would also have never know that the clothing being worn by the men in the photo were from mixed tribal groups either. It is amazing what can be learned from something as simple as an old postcard. As the individuals pictured in the postcard are wearing them I think that it should be appropriate to show a couple of the two ballaka hats that came with the card. The buttons on the tops of these are made from bone except for the center one on the one hat which is glass. I expect that the one missing from the other hat was probably made from glass as well. If someone would like to help me identify the origin of the textiles that came in this lot just let me know and I will email you photos of them as I am not sure if posting them here would be within the forum guidelines. Again my thanks for all of the help offered on this.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 21st October 2013 at 03:32 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote