View Single Post
Old 24th August 2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Antique Arsenal

Default Maces, Clubs & Others

Hi,
My name is Aleks and I am a new member on this forum. I would like to open a discussion about history of maces, clubs and their migration into more symbolic representation of military power and authority (Scepter and Horsetail) in Middle East and Europe. Also, I wanted to show a couple of pieces from my collection hoping that you guys would fill in the gaps I have. I would appreciate any help and advise you can provide.

Even thought maces and clubs have been known since ancient times during the Middle Ages they truly became very popular. Maces and clubs were found to be very effective weapons against soldiers and knights wearing heavy armour such as chain mail and full body plate armour.
Many sources suggest that the mace was developing in Russia and Middle East at the same time. And eventually, in 12th century, it spread to Europe. By 14th century it became widely used by cavalry. Maces had a great variety of different shapes and all of them were used throughout the Middle Ages. In 14 century almost all maces in Europe had cylindrical head. This kind of mace provided an excellent impact area and was easily fixed to the handle. I was so popular that it is hard to imagine a horseman of that period without a mace. Right up until 15th century infantry in Europe used very primitive clubs reinforced with a metal spikes, which were still considered very inexpensive and effective weapon. In time maces became even more popular and up until 17th century noble knights widely used Shestopyor or Pernach (look on the right). They considered a mace to be more honorable weapon than any other percussion weapon, especially since it was already used by many warlords and high ranking officers as a symbol of military authority.
For the most part in Middle East maces were traditional weapons of Tatars and they were used way before 13th century. As was mentioned previously it was perfect for penetrating heavily armed cavalry. In stories about legendary King Louis IX of France or simply Saint Louis maces were mentioned very often to be preferred weapon of the Turkish cavalry.
In time maces gained more of symbolical value then an actual practical weapon. For example, even though scepter look like a mace, it has been known as an ornamental symbol carried by a ruling monarch. In a maneer of of speaking it is considered to be one of the royal relics.
Like scepter so called Horsetail or Buncuk had a purely symbolical value and represented military power and authority of commanding officers, chieftains and even Sultans. As far as I know word “Buncuk” evolved from Turkish language but initially it was brought to Middle East by Tatar-Mongolian invaders in 13th century. Later on Ottoman (Turkish) empire spread its use to Eastern Europe, countries like Poland.
Suddenly in 20 century this lethal weapon reappeared in trench warfare of WWI. All sides found maces and clubs to be extremely effective and most importantly quite weapon. Maces and Clubs were incorporated in trench raiding strategy. For the most part they were produced by local blacksmiths in closest settlements and some were actually manufactured in Germany and Great Brittan.
Attached Images

Antique Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote