View Single Post
Old 9th December 2009, 10:11 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

We have a peculiar hilt.

One that does not fit a recognised style.

In Central Jawa, keris need to conform to very strict parameters. One does not have the freedom to move in whichever way one wishes and add, or subtract as one sees fit, to a very, very formal , indeed iconic, item of dress.

To my mind, any talk about mysticism or talismans & etc &etc &etc misses the point that no sane man in Central Jawa will wear a keris that makes him stick out from the mob like a broken finger wrapped in plaster. At the very least a hilt such as is on this keris would cause the wearer to become somewhat of a joke:- the person that everybody smiles at behind his back.

Javanese people conform. They conform to the dictates of the group. It is very, very uncool to be seen as somebody who does things in a different way to other people. Such an individual demonstrates that he really does not fit very well, and tends to be sidelined --- something that is almost like the Kiss of Death to a good Javanese person.

mangan nggak mangan asal kumpul --- doesn't matter whether we eat or not, as long as we're together ( broad translation)

This tells us a lot about Javanese people:- they do not want to be alone; more than this:- they fear being outside the group.

Javanese people work very hard at staying within the parameters of acceptable society.

If what I have said above is so, and virtually every text ever written on Javanese society will bear witness that what I have written is so, tell me what sort of Javanese person will take the icon that tells the world who and what he is, and do something to it that marks him as being outside the acceptable parameters of the dress code.

What we are looking at in this keris is something that is socially unacceptable in Central Javanese society.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote