View Single Post
Old 27th August 2016, 03:28 AM   #150
ariel

Well, can I call i this one a "pseudoshashka"?:-)
It is a Russian made chimera of a regulation Russian saber blade with the all-silver handle and a .... handguard. The distal part of the handle is polygonal, which was never done by the Caucasian masters, the artistic engraving are alo not Caucasian. I can't say much about the pommel, because I can't even see whether it is eared ( presumably), but the suspension system is totally unknown an We can't even say whether it was worn edge up. There is a monogram of Ekaterina II on the handle and an inscription on the throat says something about Don settlement. There seems to be a assayer's mark, but I can't see the details ( place of manufacture).

Just as I said, this saber borrowed heavily from the Caucasian pattern, but the master deviated enormously from the classical pattern.

One can call it an old Russian idea of a shashka, but it's master either was not well acquainted with the real examples, or more likely decided to create something "different".

How to address it? Any which way one chooses. Russian shashka, Russian pseudoshashka, Russian free imitation of a shashka, Russian saber with eared pommel .... Anything else comes to mind? I am game.
It is in the same category as the Afghani one or the Russian regulation one.. Shashka but not quite:-)

Perhaps, its main value is the proof that even in the 18 century shashkas were extant in the Caucasus and served as an inspiration for the Russian jewelers. We did not get to see the originals, but the copies testify to their existence.