View Single Post
Old 14th December 2014, 08:27 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, as usual Jean, there is a whole heap of stuff attached to this tangguh business that doesn't come through into broad understanding; I only gave a couple of the Pengging indicators, in fact, there are 13 that I have a note of.

I can see why you'd think that maybe this blade could bear some similarity to Pengging, and maybe that's what the maker was shooting for, because all he had to go on was the common description, but he'd never seen one either.

I've got one Pengging keris, and its just plain weird. I've only seen maybe one other --- I say "maybe" because I cannot remember if I've seen two that were attributed to Pengging, and if there was some sort of agreement that either were Pengging. In fact, the Pengging keris that I have is a very poor quality keris, but it does bear the salient features that permit it to be classified as Pengging.

No, I'm not aligning the ganja form with any classification. They do seem to crop up more on East Jawa keris, but you can find them on just about any later keris I believe.

All I'm saying is that the form is kelap lintah. Have a look at Ensiklopedi P. 167.

Pengging is an interesting classification, because it was never a kingdom, it was only maybe a kabupaten, it was set up by a noble from Majapahit, Adipati Handayaningrat, who was the grandfather of Sultan Hadiwijoyo of Pajang. This of course makes all the later rulers of Central Jawa, right through to today, descendants of Pengging (through the female line). The area even today has a strong spiritual element, it is located in Banyudono about 8 or 10 kilometers west of Adi Sumarmo airport. Interestingly Yosodipuro is buried there.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote