View Single Post
Old 1st June 2012, 05:42 PM   #67
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jussi, Alan's remark above is the my reasoning for the art comparison that i presented. Certainly paintings are not the same as keris, but i still think the analogy is still an effective one. (...) In the end i think i still must conduct my collecting based upon my own personal likes and dislikes. This does, of course, need to be an educated perspective. The more i "know" the more i am capable of appreciating. The more i learn, the more my understanding and appreciation can grow. But for now i simply must collect with my "gut". As a certain Monty Python skit once pronounced, "I may not know art, but i know what i like!"
David - I am not in variance to what you are saying. Itīs just that analogies can be a difficult means of communication as different people see and associate different things alike and vice versa, alike things differently. Now that Iīve read your answer above I see that I misunderstood what you meant. Possibly because I am handicapped at the English language as it is not my native language. It can, of course, also be that I simply look at things from a different perspective. This does not necessarily have anything to do with the way you presented your case; itīs on the other end where the interpretation is done. - Believe me, as a teacher I know how differently different people can interpret things said or written

Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote