View Single Post
Old 14th June 2018, 09:50 AM   #21
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
good point on aluminum, Fernando! i'm not sure about the knife on post #6; i can only vouch on the knife that's shown on post #8: this particular piece was a part of mine collection a few years ago. few things told me it was a later piece: the leather scabbard seems pretty crisp. the older pieces i have that were from the 1st revolutionary era that came with leather scabbards seem to have shrunk a bit. IMHO unless it was taken care of after all these years, these scabbards tend to shrink big time. another tell tale sign is the handle if it's made out of carabao horn. the horn tend to turn into this hazy, amber type. i'm attaching some examples.
hope that helps.

on the sidenote: when i went to Baler about 4 years ago, i went to the palengke and seen some knives with a similar soldier's head and flower bud handles. Also, one of the stories i've heard on what those soldier's head is suppose to represent is a facsimile of General Douglas MacArthur.
Thank you for the information Spunjer! It's very helpful. I'll inspect the fit of the scabbard and the quality of the horn when it arrives. I do not intend to insist that #6 is from the era of the revolution. I just based the assumption on the description of #8 as being from that time. I am open to any possibility and your insights are enlightening. On the origin of #6, it came from a large civil war collection in California. Unfortunately, that's all the information that could be given.

Regarding the side note, attached is a photo I found online. It's part of the collection of a former governor of Ilocos Sur. I think the hat resembles Gen. MacArthur's. Following the times, I suppose? The contemporary examples look very generic.

There's another example I saw but which I was unable to save but it had a dedication that said "from the people of Santa, Ilocos Sur." Right now, all I'm certain of is that the soldiers head pommel has been made in Santa for a long time now.

I hope to visit Baler one of these days. In case I do, I'll try to get information on their knives.

Kind regards,

Fernando
Attached Images

F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote