Thread: Pommel
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2018, 06:17 AM   #3
salsan

Tordenskiolds 1721, thank you for your participation, but unfortunately I have not received any new information about this type of pommel. This pommel is like the pommel of the Merovingian sword, but 300-500 years of time difference makes these pommels completely different. I am adding a photo of Merovingian sword's pommel and a photo given to me by the former owner of the sword, which shows the pommel taken off the sword during cleaning and conservation. It is clear that inside the top there are remains of an ancient tree. Of course, the tree served as a filler, but I think the pommel was kept at the expense of the tip of the hilt in the back of the top. I add also a photo of this detail. As reported by the previous owner, the original rivet had no force for fastening and the restorer did work to restore it. Maybe this fastening was an addition to the fastening with a wooden filler and the most riveted of the several parts of the pommel. Maybe someone still met a description of this top or has in his collection?
Attached Images

salsan is offline   Reply With Quote