View Single Post
Old 19th February 2022, 01:23 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much for this follow up!
What is intriguing about this sword is that this very early rapier blade has clearly enjoyed a long working life as the form of the small sword hilt seems around 1770s. The early colichemarde blades were said to have been from honed down rapier blades in 1680s, but blade makers began making them in the broad forte but narrow rapier blade combination soon after.

These were essentially evolved out of transitional rapiers with the advent of the smallsword for a 'faster' weapon, and these were primarily a dueling sword.
The styling of the hilt on this with the diagonal lines resembles a French type I once handled which had provenance to New Orleans during the War of 1812.

As you have indicated, this appears a very early Toledo blade which has been repurposed into colichemarde profile, and the 'anchor' device at the end of the fuller seems 'added' perhaps at this time.

While I dont know the provenance of this particular sword obviously, it is tempting to consider the colonial possibilities. The amalgamation of French style hilt and early Toledo blade does not seem unusual. As the Spanish system of swordplay (destreza) began to give way to French and Italian forms, it is believed to have continued nominally in Spains colonies . While many Spaniards still held to their beloved cuphilts (Castle, 1885) there would seem of course a proclivity to move toward the newer, faster weapons .

I would add here that in styling, French and Spanish were paired closely through Bourbon rule.

Although admittedly speculation, I would simply suggest these possibilities as reasonably plausible, and that this is truly an intriguing example!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote