View Single Post
Old 13th December 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... In France the term used for these short blade swords for hunting was couteau du chasse (I am no linguist especially with French!) but if I understand correctly the etymology of the word cutlass derived from couteau. Naturally I would appreciate any better informed explanation of these terms....we're here learn
Coteau de chasse translates to hunting knife (not sword). Coteau is the most basic term for knife you can imagine ... notwithstanding being the root for other derivations.

My response:

Thanks Nando! Like with most etymology in varying languages, it seems that terms used somewhat indiscriminately for knife/sword seem more focused on its use (cutting) than on its form. Most references I have seen on hunting swords use the couteau du chasse (Nuemann for example) while others often favor the German 'hirschfanger' for hunting swords. The term hanger seems to become even broader referring to military use of these shorter swords as officers often carried their own personal hunting/court type weapons. As swords of this shorter nature often carried by other ranks were comparable in size I suppose the term became associated further ?

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 13th December 2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: meant to quote not edit ..another oops
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote