View Single Post
Old 11th October 2015, 02:50 PM   #10
rickystl

While waiting for Cerjak's reply on the barrel length, I thought I would add some additional observations.

LOCK: This is a variation of the 1752, 55, or 57 Spanish Infantry musket lock. The Spanish used the Miquelet style lock till about 1750, changing to the French style lock. Then changing back to the Miquelet style lock about 1790, believing the Miquelet style lock being stronger and more reliable.
STOCK: The stock appears to be the French 1717 or 1728/46 pattern. Although the trigger and guard appear to be from a 1717 pattern. The butt plate...I'm not sure (?). The side plate is French from this pattern, and missing it's side mounted sling swivel.
FRONT BARREL BAND: While similar to the French band, this appears to be from a Spanish 1752 or 1755 Model, with the longer tail. The bands on the Spanish guns were changed to brass in 1757.
REAR AND MIDDLE BARREL BANDS: I believe these are both French, as the Spanish rear barrel band is different.

It will be interesting to know the barrel length of this gun. Also, if the gun was purchased in from the States (USA) ?
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote