View Single Post
Old 15th October 2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
What make some one an expert Bill ???

regards Ben
Hi Ben,

To me an expert is someone who has studied a subject in depth and over a period of time, and is regarded as having knowledge by others in their field.

There are many people who call themselves "expert" who have only studied a subject a short time, but really have no depth of knowledge because they jump from one obsession to another without really ever paying the price to actually learn.

People who call themselves "expert" are usually not experts. They try to take bitter joy in deriding others to cover their lack of knowedge. They Sometimes even hide behind other people because they know direct and open communication will show their personal ignorance and insecurities.

True experts never really feel a need to brag as they are comfortable in their understanding.

I admit that I am no expert except in real estate investing. I have been doing this for 41 years. But even so, I still hire experts to advise me in specific matters like constantly changing tax laws, international banking, demographics and other business matters.

I enjoy learning and appreciate collecting ethnographic objects. Sure, I will buy some things that are not authentic. So what? I consider these things learning experiences, I would rather make mistakes and learn than just try to build myself up by running other people down.

I like my little shield and thank you for your comments and reference material. I will buy the book you recommend and study it.

Maybe the shield is Moro, maybe it is something else. I know that three men, well regarded in this field think that it is Moro. I really don't know. What I do know is that I like it and that is good enough for me.

I apologize for letting this conversation stray into more personal and social issues. These really are more appropriate to other forums. I think that we are here in this forum to discuss ethnographic weapons.

I will try to limit myself to this and offer to discuss other issues in private emails. If you all like, I will just post pictures of acquisitions and ask for comments.

Very truly yours,
Bill Marsh
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote