View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 07:08 PM   #78
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
True, but your essays happen to be well supported, with observations based on a good amount of actual items, and referencing period sources like Barth. There is so little information out there that I have printed the takouba.org database and together with your articles consider these print outs the best "book" on the subject of Sahel weapons thus far.

Thank you,
Teodor
Thanks Teodor,

There are times I struggle to write due to a lack of inspiration and ideas. This thread is a bright spot in what is often a figurative desert with most extant examples being modern. It's really due to members like blue lander being willing to share their examples that I've written anything at all. For me the heart of weapons study will always be seeing as many examples as possible. Very little attention was devoted by previous researchers to the overall story of the takouba and its form, with more concern being paid to the European blade aspect or more ethnographic interests in leather work, current usage etc. All very valid and helpful areas of study but my passion has always been and still is the early moments of the takouba, where it came from, what the relation to other sword forms is, how it came to be an isolated and relatively preserved over time. Without folks like yourself to encourage me, I'd be tempted at times to give up and figure there's not much left to uncover. Thankfully this forum is a major aid in stimulating discussion and driving my passion forward. I'm truly grateful my attempts to shine a light on this obscure topic have been helpful.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote