View Single Post
Old 7th March 2019, 03:43 AM   #26
A. G. Maisey

Default The Video

Thanks for your response Darren.

In respect of this text "Rerajahan Keris".

What Basuki Yuwono says is this:-

" Terdapat dua manuskrip yang menjadi acuan.Pertama, naskah Dharma Kepandean yang dibuat pada era Kerajaan Kediri, Singasari, dan Majapahit.Kedua, naskah Rerajahan Keris yang menjelaskan persyaratan untuk menjadi empu atau penggandring."

the crux of the sentence is "---acuan. Pertama ---"

the meaning of the word "acuan" is "to pay close attention to the words of a teacher", so used in this sentence it is rather peculiar syntax. In free translation I understand what Basuki is saying as this:-

"There are two manuscripts that must be given close attention before anything else --------"

I emphasise "free translation", as to translate exactly as written it would sound extremely peculiar. I've matched my translation to translations of two native speakers, both give the same meaning but in different English words, in fact one of these native speakers did not even know the word "acuan" and had to look it up in a dictionary before the whole sentence became clear to her.

Basuki then mentions his two manuscripts.

I've never heard of either of these manuscripts.

Dharma Kepandean I could find with a web search as a little primer published in Bali, it claims to be a translation from a lontar held in a Balinese collection. I can find no academic reference to this lontar.

The Rejahan Keris manuscript I can only find in reference to Basuki himself. I have no idea where the original has come from.

I do not know the word "rerajahan" in a Javanese context.
I do know it in a Balinese context, but only in very recent times.
I know the root word "rajah", as a "tattoo, magical drawing, or palm lines", and its intensified form "rajahan" as a special sort of tattoo.

I have never heard the word "rerajahan" used in connection with keris during all the time I have spent in Jawa and Bali.

EDIT

I've just finished watching the video.

Nice production, nice to watch, but it does not give even the smallest inkling of what is involved in the making of a keris blade.

I read it as a promotion for Museum Neka --- which is certainly worth a visit, I like it very much, visit it every time I'm in Bali, and I'll be there again in a few weeks.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 7th March 2019 at 04:05 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote