Thread: Unusual Shotel
View Single Post
Old 29th January 2011, 05:52 AM   #6
roanoa

Absolutely fantastic piece. Trade? Sell? Just asking.... The inscription on the blade is backwards. Flip it 180 and it will read ITIYOPIA: TEBETSEHE: IDEWIHA: BEIGHEZEE'EBIHER:: That is: Ethiopia reaches out to to God.
It is one of the most common inscription found. It is written in Ge'ez: the ancient language used by the Ethiopian Coptic Church. The faces are those of Menelik II, Zewuditu (Empress) and (this is a guess..) Lij Eyasu. I have seen (and have one myself) some straight bladed SAIF swords with the same faces and inscription. I would say these blades are German. But...?? British is another guess. I will venture to say that the hilt was retrofitted. Maybe at the factory itself so that the blade could be handled. By the way, the hilt was mounted backwards as the shotel will have the tip pointing towards the opponent. Also, the red felt spacer would not make sense on a leather scabbard. Then again, I doubt this blade ever had a scabbard. Hilt looks Victorian. Not rhino. In any case, it is wonderful.
Attached Images

Last edited by roanoa; 29th January 2011 at 06:08 AM.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote