View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Ward,
Difficult to know for sure if the spike existed or not certainly the edge is smooth and the hole is filled as is the whole dome which gives a nice counterbalance to the sword. I don't think it has been shortened by much, if at all, to continue the blade on its present curve would, to me, give a blade of very unwieldy and impractical proportions much like some of the Napoleonic British flank officers swords. The blade has been sharpened to take into account the mounting flange so if it is a marriage, as indeed I first thought, it would have to be a very old one maybe even an older hilt on a newer blade. The rivets that connect the flange to the basket appear to have been there a long time.

Hi Jim,
Many thanks as usual for all the information. I agree an unusual piece, an instant attraction for me. It certainly has the feel of a naval 'cutlass' type sword. I suppose when thinking of naval it doesn't need to be the sea, river pirates etc. sprung to my mind, must be the romantic in me. India has vast river complexes that have been used for centuries for trade etc. it is not too fanciful I think to imagine that a pirate or a merchant might find a good use such a sword. The only other thing I can think of is possibly a hunting sword similar to the European hunting hangar. The pirate scenario appeals more though. I hope more forum members will post their ideas. Thanks again for your interest.

Regards to All,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote