View Single Post
Old 13th December 2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Philip

Default patina

Although there are areas on the 4 carved panels that are lighter than on the blank facets, the lightness is not uniform; equally yellow patina can be found on some of the edges, particularly towards the extremity. In particular, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the lower short sides are quite patinaed. The pommel is carved of a single piece, and the interior of the recess is a surprisingly symmetrical octagon, neatly carved, with walls that parallel the exterior contour. Furthermore, there are age cracks at the interior corners of the recess. As I stated earlier, this pommel looks like it's been this way, and has had a fair amount of serious handling, over quite some time. Nothing new about it. Even the previously mentioned tool marks have patina in them.

My feeling if that this recess is just a mortise for the attachment of a solid cap or ornament, why carve such a neat octagonal shape? Or make it so large? Boring a round hole would be much easier, and function just as well as a mortise to accept a cylindrical tenon on the part being installed. If the need to prevent rotation of a large exterior ornament (in case of adhesive failure) was a concern, a smaller square mortise would still be a savings of labor over what we see here.

My gut feeling is that the end of this pommel was intended to either remain open or serve as a container of some kind. If so, there may well have been a metal liner at one time, or else that plus some sort of lid. I wonder, were the Moreaux in the habit of taking snuff? Or having a nip of strong brew before a battle or after a victory?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote