View Single Post
Old 12th October 2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good digression with the 'pepperboxes' as they are contemporary and most interesting. Now, the 'cannon' or 'Gatling' thing with 24 barrels!! uh, I wouldn't want to be in the same room with that being fired.

The notion of the scatter gun system is pretty sketchy as the shooter is in far more peril.

I would note here that even the six shot revolvers had their moments of multiple detonation. At a small museum which displayed excavated relics (named the 'dug up museum') local archaeologists donated firearms that had been found mostly in Wyoming and Plains states. One was a Colt 'Navy' (if I recall correctly)with of course the cap and nipple system which had so detonated, to the misfortune of the guy shooting it. It was pretty scary to see the remains of this thing. I wish I had taken pics.

Another problem with percussion took place in the Battle of San Pascual (Mexican War 1846). It was claimed that the contingent of US Dragoons was largely wiped out by Mexican lancers (Pico's Californios actually, not line cavalry but vaqueros).
What actually happened was that it was dark AM, their horses were blown, it was freezing cold and had been raining (in rugged terrain outside San Diego).
They were armed with percussion Hall carbines, which used powder charge packets, which it was claimed were wet and unusable, so the men were in effect unarmed.
What really happened was, they could not load the rifles as cold fingers in pitch dark, on rugged terrain unknown with erratic horse movement made it impossible. The Mexicans, knowing the terrain, were skilled with the lance (using them for hunting etc.) so virtually all the casualties were from the lance.

Just some perspective on the issues with percussion guns.

With the under hammer, I think it was simply used in a situation 'up close and personal' where a single shot would end a confrontation one on one, but in a melee, not so good. As always, I think bar fights etc. with literally everybody throwing punches were as much a product of old movies in the same way as the 'gunfight, quick draw showdown'.

An interesting aside with these up close shots is that in many cases the victim's clothing actually caught fire from discharged burning powder.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote